Sunday, June 14, 2009

In the Kitchen


So I was surfing around different food blogs and found some amazing recipes. I am quite sure that this blogspot is somehow going to turn into something food related. Among my many interests, food is at the top of my list. I love going into a really nice grocery store and just looking at the produce section. One of my favorites is a local grocery called the Nugget. Beautiful polished cement floors, every section like a picture. That is a slice of heaven for me. Dean & Deluca in Napa is another place I love to just meander through. So many food options, so many tasting options, almost like a kid in a candy store ~ literally!

Since the kids can sleep in, I plan on making good use of our late evenings. One night during the week (usually a Friday) I have one of the kids pick out something they want to cook. I have them make me a list and I get all of the ingredients. The plan is for them to prepare and cook the meal for the rest of us. I have three boys and one girl, and I am training all of them to learn to cook !! So far the two oldest boys have done their dinners; they were wonderful. One of the most refreshing summer fruit salads was created by one of them. It is cool, summery and very easy.

Summer Fruit Refresher

1 seedless watermelon, cubed
2 baskets strawberries, stems removed, sliced into thirds, longwise
2 C red grapes, rinsed, sliced in half optional
2 grapefruit, no white on sections, cubed
Assorted berries - raspberries, blueberries, boysenberries,

Mix all the above fruit. Serve in ramekins garnished with mint. Delicious!

I am sure the road to foodville is going to be a great trip - good experience and fun memories. Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment